Want to experience Melbourne culture but not sure where to start? Embark on a Quest through the hidden back streets that are so iconic to this city. You'll wander through Melbourne's best lanes and arcades to discover unique street art, stunning architecture, and historical trivia. During your walk, follow the Quest instructions to collect clues. Then solve the puzzle!
Starting point: Flinders Street Station
- Walking distance: 2.5 kilometers
- Estimated duration: 1½ hours
- Accessibility: Suitable for wheelchairs and prams
- Puzzle Difficulty: Moderate. Suitable for children 10+.
- Arcade Opening Hours:
- Mon-Thurs 9am-6pm
- Fri 10am-8pm
- Sat 9am-5pm
- Sun 10am-5pm
- Public Holidays 11am-5pm
Choose Your Surprise Ending:
- Urban Beer Garden - This iconic venue offers an Instagram-worthy food menu which pairs perfectly with drinks, good times and waterfront views.
- Special City Quest Deal: 10% off your bill
- Price: Sharing plates from $9, mains from $16
Learn more about this venue.
- Street Art Gallery - A fitting finale to your journey through the Laneways, this street gallery is the epitome of the Melbourne art scene. Make sure your camera is charged up!
- Price: Free
- Opening Hours: All hours
- Sweet Treats - A cosy nook where you can indulge in locally crafted cakes and Melbourne's famous coffee.
- Price: $2.50 - $4.50 per treat.
- Special Deal: Receive a full-size treat for $2.50, or a mini treat + coffee for $5.80.
- Learn more about this venue.
- French Creperie - A little slice of Paris awaits down a secret alley, serving handmade traditional savoury galettes and sweet crepes.
- Mains from $18.
- Learn more about this venue
If you'd like a different venue, request a custom Quest with your own surprise destination.
Some points of interest on the route include:
- Degraves Street
- The Block Arcade
- Hardware Lane
- The Royal Arcade
Quests never expire! Instantly download your Quest booklet today, and hold onto it until you're ready to embark.
You can enjoy the Legendary Laneways Quest as an amazing race experience. Just form teams and challenge each other to see who can reach the surprise destination first!
If you'd rather take your time, feel free to meander slowly through the clues, stopping wherever you like for detours. Sit and grab a coffee, visit a museum or go shopping during the Quest. There are no rules, so do what you like.
The Legendary Laneways Quest is also a great activity to do with kids. Enjoy quality family time while your children learn skills like following instructions and navigation. The puzzles will develop their problem solving abilities. Finding clues helps with resilience and observational ability. It's a perfect weekend activity.